Fire destroys Beck home

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

 

A De Smet family is safe after smoke alarms alerted them to an early morning house fire Jan. 12.

The fire heavily damaged the home of Blaine and Holly Beck on Root Avenue.  The family escaped injury but the house is thought to be a total loss.

 

“It’s just a house. That can eventually be replaced,” Blaine said.

 

De Smet volunteer firefighters were called to the fire about 5:30   a.m. Jan. 12. Fire Chief Randy Holland said flames were coming from the roof of the split-foyer house when firefighters arrived.  

 

 

Holland said the fire went up the chimney from the basement to the attic. He thinks it probably started in a wood-burning fireplace in the basement.  He said they would know more after the insurance company completes its investigation.

 

The couple and their six-year-old daughter, Mirra had bedrooms on the upper level.Eleven-year-old twins Baylor and Reyna had bedrooms on the lower level. The children woke up first, and followed the family’s emergency safety plan and were able to get out of the house. They ran to neighbor Delores Halverson’s home and Halverson called 911.

 

Another neighbor, Shon Asleson, who is also a volunteer fireman, was on the scene immediately to offer assistance. He went upstairs and helped the adults make sure the children were all out. Asleson, along with Blaine and Holly, were rescued through an upstairs window because they were not able to get back down the stairs.

 

The family was taken to Avera De Smet Memorial Hospital for observation and released. The children were happily reunited with their dog Oscar at the hospital.

 

The Becks are staying at a relative’s home.

 

Donna Palmlund

Staff  Writer

The De Smet News

Category: (none)

 
Ribbon